Flowserve Corporation Manager, Applications Engineering in Rancho Dominguez, California
Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
* This position can be based out of Broomfield, CO, Rancho Dominguez, CA, or Benicia, CA. *
The Manager of Application Engineers leads and influences a regional team of Application Engineers (AEs) who provide technical and reliability engineering support to our strategic customers in the oil & gas, chemical industries. The Manager will also work closely with end-user sales teams to develop growth opportunities, and leverage all of Flowserve’s products and services, especially our world-class Life Cycle Advantage (LCA) programs.
· Manage a group of Application Engineers who are located various customer sites, and lead the team to high levels of employee engagement, technical excellence, and customer satisfaction.
· Work alongside the AEs on task: Assist the sales team and customers in decisions regarding repairs, upgrades, and new equipment for specific industrial applications. Provide technical guidance about installation and operation of our products. Troubleshoot technical problems at our customers’ sites.
· Oversee the AEs’ projects which require both mathematical and hands-on approaches resulting in independent evaluation, such as failure analysis reports, product performance reports, recommendations for upgrades, etc.
· Be the technical point-of-contact for key LCA accounts. Champion new LCA agreements by coordinating the transition from contract negotiation to execution. Lead the AEs to ensure that Flowserve meets and exceeds LCA commitments, demonstrating to customers the value of the LCA. Actively engage in corrective action where we are falling short.
· Evaluate and implement appropriate new processes and standard operating procedures within the organization to insure contract commitments, including revenue targets, operating, margins and strategic objectives are achieved.
· Facilitate problem-solving discussions effectively, with a collaborative approach and a mastery of problem-solving tools and methods.
· Ensure that the AEs maintain data in engineering systems, process engineering change notices, submit corrective action reports, and maintain current, accurate, and organized files.
· Manage the team effectively, ensuring that it has the right people and resources for success. Post jobs, conduct interviews, and hire direct reports and student interns as necessary.
· Be a mentor for the career growth of the AEs, and place a high priority on developing technical and business skills.
· Evaluate performance; reward successes, and take remedial actions as needed. Complete mid-year and annual performance reviews.
· Be a champion of best practices in engineering, client-relationships, and administrative processes to differentiate Flowserve from our competitors.
· Convey a sense of contagious passion for the work and inspire commitment to the vision and strategic direction of the organization.
· Have a Customer First attitude that permeates through the team and throughout the organization. Be the advocate for the customer within Flowserve, acting as a liaison with sales engineers, customer service, and manufacturing.
· BS Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent technical degree required.
· 7+ years relevant experience required in the field of pumps, mechanical seals, and rotating equipment, including previous supervisory experience.
· Must have extensive knowledge of the design, selection, materials, and operational requirements of rotating equipment, mechanical seals, and related equipment.
· Operational experience in the refining or chemical industries is required.
· Must have a successful track record of leading, managing and mentoring engineering teams.
· A collaborative leadership style that removes obstacles and promotes teamwork.
· Good organizational skills, with the ability to calmly prioritize competing priorities to meet specific high-visibility deadlines and requirements.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, projecting a strong customer focus and a positive corporate image.
· Positive attitude displayed in initiative, self motivation, willingness to learn, assertiveness, and a good work ethic.
· Computer savvy—able to learn proprietary systems, must be very competent in Microsoft Office programs.
· Able to travel locally using personal vehicle, with some overnight travel required.
· Some physical activity required (e.g., walking large customer sites, and climbing ladders and staircases in multi-story facilities).
Job Posting/Business Card Title:
Manager, Applications Engineering
Primary Posting Location:
Rancho Dominguez, California US
Percentage of Approximate Travel Required:
Job Posting Category:
United States of America
Auto req ID: